Friday, May 14, 2010

Thoughts on Flash from Jobs

So I just happened to log onto Apple's site today and noticed this article on Flash by Steve Jobs:

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

So in summary here is why Flash isn't going to be on iPad, iPhone & iPods.

1) Flash is not an "open" standard
2) Apple mobile devices can already access tons of video content
3) Flash's reliability, security and performance on Macs is not good
4) Battery life
5) Flash and touch interface not a match
6) The dependability of a third party between Apple and developers

This sounds reasonable to me but I wonder if there still aren't other behind the scenes reasons. I'm sure Apple wants to collect all revenue through the App Store. What do you think?

1 comment:

six-pac said...

I think Apple has some excellent products. I think they are marketed for the privileged upper crust. Not a whole lot of people I know can afford to buy Apple products. Most can barely afford PCs. I think Mr. Jobs has some excellent points. I also think he is arrogant. The latter tends to overpower the former.